right click

Made of Metal

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

During a recent visit to Strasburg, PA I decided to wander off the beaten path of curious tourists and outlet junkies to find those antique shops I so love getting lost in. Honest to goodness time machines. Of course my main objective is finding one of the TimMee holy grails tucked away for decades on some dusty shelf that's nestled into the corner of a shop. My luck was no better than it usually is...not that I wasn't having a blast like I always do. However, as I was about to walk out of the last shop of the day, I glanced down into a little display case and several very familiar shapes caught my eye. Now we're talkin'! But after closer examination it was apparent that someone had created molds from the original 60mm soldiers and made crude castings in some sort of metal (I wasn't about to scrape off the paint to find out what kind). As you can see the finer details were lost in the process. The thick enamel paint doesn't help matters either. 

I debated for a good 10 minutes as to whether I should buy them or not. Since they weren't official castings, sensibility won the debate...for the time being. I just may wander back to the home of Witness and snatch those soldiers up before someone else does. It's a perfect excuse to fill my belly with more Amish scrapple. And yeah, I know what those questionable ingredients are (more or less) but I still don't care!

Semper Fi!

No comments: